Institute for Environmental Security
Advancing Global Environmental Security through
Science · Diplomacy · Law · Finance · Education
Novel funding initiatives are on the cusp of implementation across the developing world. Community owned solutions for the management of ecosystem services have the potential to act as showcases for determining the most effective and efficient use of these emerging funding streams in order to maximise social justice and ecological sustainability.Partners and Donors).
VisionThe COBRA Project envisions a future where socially and ecologically sustainable community-owned solutions will inspire, and become a full part of, development programs in the Guiana Shield region and beyond.
MissionOur mission is to find ways to integrate community solutions within policies addressing escalating social, economic and environmental crises, through accessible information and communication technologies.
GoalsThe COBRA Project has the following goals:
- to build capacity in participatory video making, photostory production and emerging hypermedia technologies amongst indigenous communities of the Guiana Shield Region;
- to strengthen indigenous communities within the Guiana Shield by exchanging stories on how they have successfully faced emerging challenges;
- to investigate whether policies now being proposed at national and international levels are supporting or undermining community-owned solutions;
- to encourage policymakers and civic society organisations in supporting and promoting community-owned solutions;
- to establish an enduring web-based platform for communicating community-owned solutions to a global audience;
- to investigate the potential for a self-sustaining social enterprise which will promote the above goals beyond the lifetime of the three-year project.
Learn more about COBRA